All about reseller hosting on managed cPanel/WHM server
Reseller Hosting is hosting where the account holder hosts websites for third parties. By using their allotted hard drive space and bandwidth. The reseller purchases the host’s services at a wholesale scale. Sells or rents them to customers for a profit.
In the case of reselling shared hosting services. The permission granted to a reseller account holder. To sells a certain amount of space and bandwidth to its customer. The part they bought from the hosting company. Now the reseller may divide this allocated part into smaller portions. To resell to more than one customer. The allocated disk space and bandwidth bought from the original host can split into many portions. Then resold to different customers as separate hosting accounts.
You Can Check Our Reseller Hosting Packages
What are cPanel and WHM?
cPanel is a Linux-based control panel used for web hosting purposes. cPanel provides a graphical user interface (GUI). Along with many automation tools that aim to simplify web hosting. Resellers, end-users, everyone is capable of owning various aspects of the website.
WHM or Web Host Manager program is one of cPanel’s master management tools. It gives the user much more control and flexibility. Managing many domains or websites. Whether a few very popular resource-consuming sites or many small websites. With this tool, the user can create and manage many cPanel platforms as well. Because business-oriented sites are always better to host on separate cPanel platforms. As managing, many domains on a single platform can turn out to be quite a chore.
Separate cPanel platforms increase the security level of each of these platforms. Let us say for example you have ten to twelve popular sites on the same platform. Say one of your customers rarely secures and updates the script used in the site.
If this site getting hack, then all the eleven sites can also become compromised. Because that hosted on the same platform. Thus, if these sites are on separate cPanels then they will remain safe. Because they detach from one another and in the event one of the compromises, the others will remain safe. Also, having different cPanels can feel safe for owners about the privacy of their sites.
Benefits of Reseller Hosting
Reseller Web-hosting has many benefits. Here, we will look at some of them
1. Less Expensive for Start-up
It is much less expensive a venture for new entrepreneurs as well as for a start-up. A reseller can design their service plan and pricing method. Plus they can manage their brand via a particular control panel(s) and server(s).
Reseller works as the intermediary between the consumer and a retailer. The original hosting services are the wholesalers whereas the end-users are the consumers. The reseller only purchases space of the server from the wholesale. Sells or rents parts of it to the consumers.
2. No extra maintenance required
Instead of purchasing their server. A reseller purchases a certain part of disk space and bandwidth from the provider. As such it is almost like having their server with an added incentive.
A reseller will never have to worry about server maintenance. As the hosting company itself handles it all. Thus, a reseller business needs no maintenance cost. Any and every such problem deal with by the tech support department of the hosting company.
3. More control over Resources
A reseller account allows the user to create their plans for selling to the customers. This helps the user to calculate the approximate number of resources per plan and client. Also, the user can control and manage different aspects of the website. Like disk space, bandwidth limits, etc.
4. Better income
Reseller hosting business is good for both start-ups and existing web-hosting businesses. Looking to increase their revenue.
5. Account Upgrades
To incorporate more space and bandwidth from the original hosting company. Sometimes reseller accounts can upgrade. These upgrades are of course not free but at an affordable price.
As a reseller, you will always have adequate resources in your inventory for clients. As such build up your business as a trusted and reliable one from your clients.
Managing reseller accounts in WHM Servers
Here we will see how you can create, change and delete accounts in Web Host Manager. Keep one thing in mind: unless and until you have created a package you cannot create your account in WHM. So we will first see what we mean by a package.
WHM uses packages having a collection(s) of predefined settings while creating accounts. For example, there are two types of packages available for, “Basic” and “Premium”. The first package may have less allocation of disk space and bandwidth than the latter one.
Now, after you have created any one of the packages, you can create your account and get busy reselling.
Creating Your Account-
A new account generally includes the following:
- website functionality; found in the “public_html” directory,
- FTP account,
- SSH access;
Default content that copies to any new account. Provided by skeleton files that create. For example, you can create a default. HTML file to use for all new accounts.
Now, to create a new account, follow these steps:
- From the WHM home screen, go to Account Functions, and then click Create a New Account.
- Under Domain Information, type in the domain name in the Domain text box. Be sure NOT to add the WWW subdomain to the domain name.
- WHM automatically fills in the Username text-box based on the domain name provided.
- Type in the password you want to give in the Password text-box and confirm by retyping it. You can also create it through Password Generator provided there.
- Give the account holder’s email in the Email text-box to receive automatic cPanel notifications.
- Under Packages either select the package you have created or select the Select Options Manually checkbox.
- Under DNS settings, you have to keep the SPF option checked and leave the DKIM option unchecked. Unless you want the domain to use the registrar’s name-server keep the name-server option unchecked.
- Finally, click on the Create option. WHM will display your account configuration information on the screen.
Your account creation is complete!
Modifying An Account-
To modify an existing account in the Web Host Manager, follow the steps below:
1. From the WHM home screen, click on Account Functions, and then click on Modify an Account.
2. Now select the account, which you want to modify, and then click on Modify.
3. After you have made the necessary changes to the account, click on Save
As you can see, it is quite easy.
Deleting An Account-
This is easy as well, just follow the steps below if you want to delete any existing account:
1. From the WHM home screen, click on Account Functions, and then click on Terminate an Account.
2. Select the account you want to be deleted and then click on Terminate.
3. To confirm your action click on the OK button.
Keep in mind that all data is removed whenever you delete an account permanently. So, if you want to retain the data of that account make sure to save that data before you delete it.
Listing All Of Your Accounts-
If you want to view, the list of all your accounts on WHM. From the home screen click on Account Information and then click List Accounts.
You can undertake all the common administrative tasks from the account list. Like changing email IDs and passwords, etc. to do this expand the view by clicking on the ‘+’ button.
Thus, you can see that reselling hosting with WHM on cPanel is quite an easy task. Keep in mind the basics and you are good to go.
Also Read – cPanel vs Plesk: Differences